COVID-19: School Action Plan
COVID-19: SCHOOL ACTION PLAN
1. STAFFING AND CURRICULUM
1.1 POLICY FOR TIMETABLE
- The school utilizes a seven (7) day cycle of nine (9) periods per day.
- An additional afternoon timetable is available in line with the Department recovery plan.
- There are seventeen (17) educators available to teach (13 educators for grade 12).
- No time is allocated for assembly to avoid gatherings.
- Time for break is included in the time table with five minutes extra to allow learners to sanitize and settle.
- Learners hands only be sanitized before entering the classroom.
- All extra curricula activities are suspended.
1.2 LEARNER SUPPORT
- The school has an online tutoring system to support learners who cannot attend school owing to COVID-19.
- The school has a system of assistant teacher in place. These are the most suitable learners in a subject and can stand in for a teacher in case of absence due to COVID-19.
2. BASIC SANITIZING AND HYGIENE
- Screening for symptoms of COVID-19 namely fever, cough, sore throat, redness of eyes or shortness of breath, body aches, fatigue etc. is done as follows:
- Learners at the hostel by hostel personnel.
- Educators at the reception by the school secretary.
- Visitors entering the school at the reception by the school secretary.
- The temperatures are recorded and the data is kept to keep track.
- The school is deep cleaned and disinfected prior to reopening.
- Auxiliary staff disinfect classrooms and other school facilities twice daily.
- Break duty roaster is available to monitor and prevent learners from gathering. Learners stay approximately one (1) meter apart.
Four (4) teachers monitor/supervise learners.
- Prefects only assist teachers on duty.
- Trash is removed and disposed of safely on a daily basis.
- The following hygiene standards and practices are reminded to learners every day during register period:
- Wash hands frequently, always with soap and water at least 20 seconds.
- Keep nails and teeth clean
- Refrain from touching their eyes, mouth and face.
- Sneeze or cough into a bent elbow or tissue, discard the tissue and wash/sanitize hands.
- No sharing of stationary, pencils, erasers etc.
3. SCHOOL INFRASTRUCTURE
- Desks in classrooms are one (1) meter apart to ensure social distancing.
- Adequate ablution facilities are available equipped with soap and sanitizers.
- Maintenance office is used as COVID-19 information and recourse centre.
- Isolation facility is available to temporarily contain learners/staff identified with possible COVID-19 infection, whilst they await transfer to a health practitioner.
4. STAFF TRANSPORT
- Staff members should ensure that they sanitize their hands when entering the staff bus and always wear masks.
5. ORIENTATION OF STAFF AND LEARNERS
- The school principal conducts orientation of staff, with relevant supporting material highlighting safety and hygiene measures prior to reopening.
- Orientation of learners is conducted during Guardian period on the school time table to address issues related to stigmatization.
- The school has a communication centre where collected data is submitted weekly for analysis.
- The school regularly communicates with parents and other stakeholders using email, telephone, bulk sms and WhatsApp to minimize gatherings.
- The school has contact details of Department of Health official available to assist the institution in case of possible COVID-19 infection.
- The school has a functional guardian system which is used as school based support.
- The school has contact details of Dr. Mdluli, the district Psychologist for referral.